The millennial focused retailer is loading up 15 stores with beacons, Bluetooth technology that communicates with smartphones, that will ping messages and notifications to shoppers who have downloaded the UO App.
|Image from AdWeek.com|
The company is rolling out the beacon technology to Android users first, as they state more of their customers use the Google-powered devices.
What will the beacons do?
- Plug into the Urban On loyalty program, which delivers shoppers rewards and exclusive access.
- Focus around the checkout line, fitting rooms, and the entrance.
- When a user enters the store they will be prompted to check in via social to unlock an offer.
- By the fitting rooms, users are encouraged to share photos of themselves wearing products with #UOonYou for a chance to be featured on their website.
- While at checkout, they may be prompted to show their loyalty card in-app to earn digital badges.
However, the beacon technology will not aggressively push coupons and offers.